Are Mosquitoes Dangerous?
When we think of dangerous pests, we often think about highly poisonous spiders, stinging insects like bees and wasps, or wood damaging carpenter ants and termites. In general, most people regard mosquitoes as just an annoying pest that buzzes in our ears and whose bites are extremely itchy. We tend to overlook the fact that mosquitoes can be really dangerous.
So, when pondering the question, “Are Mosquitoes Dangerous?”, the answer is YES! Throughout the world and here in the DC Metro area, mosquitoes are becoming a major public health problem. People, horses, pets, and other animals are becoming infected with diseases transmitted by mosquitoes including the West Nile virus, the Zika virus, malaria, and more. Plus, man’s best friend is at risk of canine heartworm. You can find more information regarding these and other diseases and the reports of active virus locations by visiting the Center for Disease Control website.
By understanding how transmission of mosquito-borne illnesses occurs, you need to know a few facts about these pests:
- The female mosquitoes are the only ones that actually bite. This is because they need a blood feast in order to breed and lay eggs.
- An infected female mosquito can transmit the disease to an animal or human through the saliva they inject into the skin to clot the blood for their feast.
- An infected animal can spread the illness to the mosquito that can then infect humans with this disease during the biting process.
- No one can tell if a mosquito is infected until after a victim has been bitten and becomes sick and is then tested and diagnosed with one of the illnesses or viruses.
- In some cases, the illnesses have been fatal. With worldwide travel becoming more and more accessible and popular to a vast population, the risk of infectious diseases are on the rise in mosquitoes, humans, and animals.
Citronella and insect repellent can help some, but these products alone cannot even come close to reducing the health risk that mosquitoes pose. In order to enjoy your yard this summer, you will need a professional mosquito control service like the one offered by Alexandria Pest Services. Our fully licensed professionals can control about 85% of the mosquito population on your property; and we offer fast, local response and friendly service you can count on.
When you contact APS about a pest problem, we’ll come to your home, business, or government office to conduct a full inspection. This allows us to pinpoint the pest type and any points of entry or problem areas. Call us at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional inspection of your home. We will provide recommendations for the corrective measures to get rid of mosquitoes for good!