As you are likely aware, humans depend on having water daily and we need to stay hydrated to live. What many don’t realize is that the same is true for pests. So, if you want to prevent pests from sharing your home with you, paying attention to moisture control is important.
Having moisture in your home is a huge attraction to rodents, termites, and a variety of insects. Moisture can also result in costly water damage, while leaving your home vulnerable to pests. These are just some of the pests that moisture attracts:
- Termites need moisture for sustenance. They are often attracted to areas that are moist and damp, as they thrive in this environment. One of the greatest areas that is often missed when it comes to moisture in and around your home is the HVAC system. Often when your system is draining, that is a point of threat when it comes to attracting termites.
- Silverfish love any sort of moisture. You will find them in areas where there is high humidity like the basement, or the bathroom and they are commonly seen around the drain area. You may have problems controlling them because they tend to move around the house.
- Drain flies can be found around the sink area of the kitchen and the bathroom. The larvae of these flies feed off of the debris found in the pipes. Once these flies have matured, they come out of the pipes. They can be eliminated by removing the build-up in your pipe system and fixing leaks. You will also find that this type of fly around compost areas.
- The cockroach is an annoying pest because it is very hard to get rid of and they can cause many dangerous diseases. Cockroaches are attracted to water and dark places and they are often in the kitchen or bathroom at night because they’re looking for food as well as water.
- Mold mites: Whenever you have a buildup of moisture, mildew, rot and mold starts growing. This is often the case if you have a poorly sealed window or cracks in your basement where moisture is getting in. Mold mites feed on the mold that is growing. They can cause allergic reactions in some people as they produce allergens. To keep mold mites under control, keep moisture under control.
These are some common insects that are attracted to moisture and some of these can cause tremendous damage to your home. To reduce infestations of these pests, ensure that water in the home is eliminated. You should use proper practices such as sealing windows, using weather stripping, and other pest reduction techniques so these pests can’t get into the home. Most of all, you should have regular pest control to keep these and other insects at bay.
Call Alexandria Pest Services for All of Your Pest Control Needs!
If you find that you are having a problem with pests in your home or office, and need an exterminator, be sure to call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. At Alexandria Pest Services, our team of expert technicians will work with you to create a plan to eliminate your pests. We can help you get rid of these invaders in your home or office! Contact us today to learn more.