Who always shows up to summer soirees, 4th of July picnics, and outdoor gatherings, despite not being invited?
Pests, that’s who!
Even the best backyard barbecues can be swiftly derailed by swarming mosquitoes and marching ants. Here are five quick tips for keeping pesky pests away:
- Practice regular yard maintenance. Not only does it keep your space looking nice, but it also prevents insect hideouts. Mow your lawn often and trim back branches or bushes that are too close to the home. Pick up leaves, litter, or debris, and remove excess mulch around your home’s foundation.
- Keep food in sealed containers. Storing food in tightly sealed containers until you are ready to grill or eat it will lessen your chances of attracting pests. Remember to reseal and put away leftovers as soon as you finish and make sure not to leave any outside – wasps have the ability to imprint food sources, which means they will continue to search an area where they have found food long after it’s gone.
- Add a fan (or two). It will help beat the summer heat, especially with the grill going, and it deters flying pests like mosquitoes and flies by making it more difficult for these insects to get around. Furthermore, fans help to disperse carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
- Remove standing water. Mosquitoes only need a capful of water to breed, so make sure to check your yard for potential breeding sites such as birdbaths, baby pools, and puddles. However, the most effective way to rid your yard of mosquitoes is by calling in the experts at Alexandria Pest Services to get rid of them!
- Once you’re through with clean-up, tie garbage bags tightly and fully close trash can lids. Keep the receptacles a good distance away from your home, as an extra precautionary measure for pest prevention.
- Remember to always apply a bug repellent with 20% or more DEET to help keep yourself protected from bites while outside.
- Take precautions not to let insects and rodents inside your house! If pests or rodents do make their way into your home at any time, with the help of Alexandria Pest Services, we can eradicate an infestation of any size with minimal disruption to you and your family.
Call in the Pros to Get Rid of Pests for Good!
If you find that you are having a problem with insects, rodents, termites, or other pests and need an exterminator in Northern Virginia, Washington D.C., or Maryland, call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. We can help you get rid of these invaders in your home or office! Contact us today to learn more.