As the nights get cooler this fall, there’s an increased chance that pests – including rodents, cockroaches, and certain species of spiders – will try to gain access to a warmer spot, which could very well be your home or office! In addition to being a nuisance, the above-mentioned pests can pose health risks to people and cause damage.
When establishing their nests in walls, rodents can chew on electrical wires and drywall, and they are known to pass on disease-causing pathogens, such as Salmonella and hantavirus. Cockroaches can contaminate stored food and leave droppings around the home, and their exoskeletons can trigger allergic asthma, especially in children. In addition, some spiders commonly found around homes can be poisonous.
At Alexandria Pest Services, our job is to protect you, your family, and your home or office from unwanted pests. Here are 5 pest-proofing tips that you and your family can follow to keep pests on the outside looking in this fall and winter:
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry. Pests are attracted to areas with moisture, which they need to survive. Using dehumidifiers in basements and garages can help keep these areas dry.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home using caulk and steel wool. Pay close attention to points where utility pipes enter the structure. Mice can fit through a hole the size of a dime, and rats can fit through holes the size of a quarter.
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys, along with any other areas where homes may be open to the outdoors – like mail slots and pet doors.
- Keep kitchen counters clean, store food in airtight containers, and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles. Crumbs and a buildup of garbage are attractive to pests scrounging for food. It is recommended to clean up after each meal and to properly close garbage cans when they are stored in the home or garage.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows, as these are places that could allow pests access inside your home.
If you are having a problem with pests trying to gain access to your home, and need an exterminator, call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. We can help you get rid of these invaders in your home or office!