If you are someone who has switched on your kitchen light at night and screamed at the top of your lungs because you have spotted a creepy, crawly cockroach on your countertop, then you are not alone. A cockroach problem in the kitchen is a common problem, but one that can be fixed!
A cockroach problem should be taken care of quickly because cockroaches can contaminate your food and spread disease. Though it is necessary to call a pest control company to take care of cockroach infestations, it is equally necessary to take these preventive measures to stop cockroaches. These are some examples:
- Seal All Entry Points
This might seem like a hard task, but it is certainly necessary. Seal off any tiny crack or holes from where a kitchen cockroach can invade your home.
- Use a flashlight to locate cracks or holes in drainpipes and seal them up with a waterproof sealant.
- Look for little holes in the pipes under your sink and fix them with a waterproof sealant or urethane foam.
- Seal the holes in your walls with expanding insulation foam.
- Use a rubber drain cover or a metal drain screen to cover the entrances of your drains.
- Clean the Cabinets in Your Kitchen
You might have a full-blown cockroach infestation on your hands if you have a few crumbs and food spills inside a kitchen cabinet. Be sure to thoroughly clean your cabinets.
- Keep Garbage Cans Covered
Use a lid with a tight-fitting container for your garbage can so it isn’t easy for a kitchen cockroach to enter it. Keep garbage cans clean and take out the trash every night.
- Don’t Forget to Wash Dishes and Utensils
Leaving unwashed utensils and dishes overnight is not a wise idea, since cockroaches are nocturnal and prefer to come out at night to feed on the food left on the dishes and cutlery.
- Disinfect Your Kitchen Floors
Kids, pets, and other family members can bring dirt into the kitchen. A kitchen cockroach loves dirt. That is why it is essential to disinfect your kitchen floors every day.
- Declutter the Kitchen
A cluttered kitchen is like a 5-star hotel for a kitchen cockroach. Plus, you will never be able to spot a kitchen cockroach in all the clutter. Get rid of old cardboard boxes, plastic bags, useless cutlery, and glassware. This will also make your daily kitchen cleaning easier.
- Fix Any Leaky Faucets You Might Have
Cockroaches are drawn to moist spaces. They can live without food for months, but they can hardly live without water. So, try and keep your kitchen faucet as dry as possible by fixing any leaks.
- Get rid of even a single cockroach as soon as you spot it. Cockroaches release a pheromone in their droppings which acts as a signal for other cockroaches telling them it is safe to make your kitchen their home. So, if you see any single cockroach, it might be a sign of a full-blown cockroach infestation in the future, unless you take care of it right away.
Take these preventive measures and call Alexandria Pest Services immediately!
Call Us to Help You Get Rid of Pests or Rodents!
Have a pest or rodent problem in your home? At Alexandria Pest Services, our trained professionals will analyze your pest control needs and come up with a personalized plan for your household. Our team of expert technicians will provide a free inspection and work to create a plan to eliminate your pests. At Alexandria Pest Services, we help homeowners just like you get rid of pests in their homes all year round. If you find that you are having a problem with insects or pests, and need an exterminator, call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. We can help you get rid of these invaders in your home or office!
We hope you and your loved ones stay well and healthy during this time. We are open and following all CDC regulations. Please call us today for all of your pest control needs!