How to Avoid Wasps this Summer
Summer is a time for outdoor concerts, barbeques, pool days, and lazy afternoons. Unfortunately, it is also the season where stinging insects such as wasps are out and about, frantically collecting food for their colony and building their numbers. This means that while spending more time outside this summer, you, your family, and your pets are going to come in contact with wasps more often than not!
Wasps, while not the most aggressive species of stinging insect, do have a bit of a temper, especially when they are being threatened. Wasp nests that are built on homes or in high traffic areas can cause particular problems for people in the summer because wasps are more likely to deliver painful and dangerous stings.
Summer gatherings like picnics, fairs, and BBQ’s often attract wasps because they take advantage of the free beverages and food (hamburgers, hot dogs, and steak) that they can find.Particular care should be taken to protect yourself and your family from wasp stings at these types of events. To help protect those you love from wasps, the following tips can help you avoid coming into contact with wasps when spending time outside:
- Don’t wear floral or bright clothingand try to avoid wearing sweet smelling perfume or aftershave; wasps can be attracted to these things. Also, make sure to wear and keep shoes on your feet to help avoid stepping on a wasp.
- When hosting an outdoor event, make sure that used plates and empty beverage containers are quickly disposed of and placed in trash cans with tight fitting lids. When done eating, bring the uneaten food back inside to avoid attracting wasps to your party.
- Keep outdoor trash cans and woodpiles off the groundand place them a distance away from the outside of your home.
- Create garden areas and compost pilesaway from the exterior of your home.
- Any fruits or veggies that fall to the ground should be quickly picked upand removed.
- Open areas on the exterior of your home or outbuildings like loose siding should be repaired to help prevent wasps from building their nest in this space.
- Keep doors and windows closedor make sure that they have screens in them to help prevent wasps from finding their way inside.
If wasps ever do create a nest on your property and they become a danger to you and your family, know that the professionals at Alexandria Pest Services have the experience and safety equipment required to safely remove a dangerous wasp nest from your property. Don’t put yourself at risk by attempting to remove a nest on your own, give us a call today to learn more about our residential pest control programs.
At Alexandria Pest Services, we help homeowners just like you prevent wasps and other stinging insects. If you find that you are having a problem with wasps or other insects or pests, and need an exterminator, call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. We can help you get rid of these invaders in your home or office!