Summer is here, which means it’s the perfect time to have a backyard barbeque. Unfortunately, you’re not the only one planning a feast. Mosquitos are out now and ready to chow down.
Luckily, there are things you can do to keep them away! Here are some facts about mosquitoes, and how to repel these pesky pests:
- Only female mosquitoes suck blood – With all the mosquito bites you might get this summer, it’s startling to know that only the females are the ones biting you. Male mosquitoes feed on plant juices such as flower nectar and do not bite nor feed on blood.
- Mosquitoes are attracted by carbon dioxide (CO2), kairomones and heat . It’s how they identify their potential food sources. When your heart rate is elevated, your body produces more CO2 and these other factors. From exercise to drinking alcohol or eating spicy foods, anything that cranks up your metabolic rate will increase your CO2 production—and make you irresistible to mosquitoes. Unfortunately, being overweight or pregnant can also up your CO2 output.
- Mosquitoes can’t penetrate clothing that has a very tight weave. High-tech athletic apparel. tend to be woven tightly enough to keep mosquitoes out. In addition, any garment that offers sun protection may also have a tight enough weave to block bites.
- Mosquitoes use their vision to search for food sources during the daylight hours. And since they fly very close to the ground, they tend to find targets by looking for things that contrast with the horizon. Dark colors stand out, but light colors are less attractive to them!
- Despite their small size, mosquitoes are the deadliest animals on the Earth due to the deadly diseases they transmit including malaria and others. In fact, nearly one million people die of mosquito borne diseases each year according to the World Health Organization.
At Alexandria Pest Services, our mosquito control program and services will assure that your family can enjoy being outside without suffering the hassle of annoying mosquitos. Our goal is to provide you with the very best in mosquito control services at affordable prices. We offer single application treatments and seasonal programs.
Have a Mosquito Problem? Call Us Today!
Do you have lots of annoying mosquitoes in your yard? If so, call Alexandria Pest Services at 703-923-0925 to schedule a professional evaluation. We help you win your mosquito battle so you can relax and enjoy your backyard without them bothering you!